HIV in Uzbekistan
UNDP Project on HIV, funded by the Global Fund
The project works to prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS into the general population
and reduce its impact on most-at risk populations throughout all regions of Uzbekistan. Moreover, the project provides targeted support by strengthening national capacities for universal access to HIV prevention, diagnosis, treatment and care in Uzbekistan.
Project in depth
Healthcare Categories: Community Empowerment , HIV / AIDS, Medical training, Raising awareness, Training
The Government of Uzbekistan is making efforts to stop and reverse HIV epidemic in the country with mobilization of both national and international resources. In this regard, in view of the escalating epidemic Uzbekistan applied for Global Fund to fight AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria grants and the country has been awarded two GF grants - HIV Round 3 Rolling Continuation Channel and Round 10 grants. In accordance with GF Policy the grants have been consolidated in a Single Stream of Funding.
The current HIV project in Uzbekistan is designed to ensure universal access to HIV prevention, treatment, care and support. The consolidated project is implemented by UNDP as the Principal Recipient in close close cooperation with governmental, nongovernmental and international organizations and UN partners working in the area of HIV/AIDS response.
Consolidated efforts of all governmental, civil society and international organizations are key to success of HIV response. Therefore, the project engages the following organizations as project sub-recipients in 2012:
- Republican Center to fight AIDS
- Republican Specialized Scientific-Applied Medical Center of Depmatology and Venerology
- Central Asia Regional Training Center on HIV/AIDS care and treatment
- Republican Center of State Sanitary Epidemiological Surveillance
- Scientific-Research Institute of Virology
- Scientific-Research Institute of Hematology and Blood Transfusion
- Republican Center for advanced medical education of nurses
- Red Crescent Society of Uzbekistan
- NGO “Istiqbolli Avlod”
- NGO “Intilish”
-“Kamolot” Youth movement
- Women’s Committee
- NGO “Anticancer Society”
- NGO "Ishonch va Hayot"
The main goal of the project is to prevent the spread of HIV into the general population by reducing its impact on at most vulnerable populations and to strengthen health systems and national capacity for universal access to HIV prevention, diagnosis, treatment and care in Uzbekistan.
- To scale up coverage and improve HIV prevention services for most-at-risk populations
- To scale up treatment, care and support for people living with HIV
- To strengthen health system in Uzbekistan
- To create an enabling environment for effective HIV prevention, treatment, care and support services
- To strengthen infection control for prevention of HIV transmission
- To strengthen systems for procurement and management of necessary health products and consumables
- To facilitate decentralization and integration of services for sustained outreach and improved acces
The project undertakes efforts, aimed at ensuring sustainability of interventions initiated within the project's framework:
- national partners' capacities to manage projects in the area of HIV response are developed and strengthened throughout the duration of project implementation. With this view, capacity assessment of project sub-recipients has been carried out and capacity development plan has been developed; education, on-job trainings and consultancy are being carried out.
- technical assistance is provided in development of educational programmes for health care providers, and their further incorporation into the curricula of medical educational institutions.
- technical assistance is provided in improving the system of collaboration between governmental and civil society organizations, engaged in the area of HIV response.
Tools for this page
Akvo Ref: 573